Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Preliminary 10 Artists (Mara)

1. Max Hirschfield - #19, 30x40, $2600

2. Jae Ko- JK526, (graphite piece), $5,500

3. Julio Bittencourt , Prestes Maia, $12,000

4. Viviane Sassen, Elvis, $9,000

5. Sarah Anne Johnson, artic wonderland (I was really interested in her work when we saw it in the gallery, I think the main reason I am willing to let her go is because I feel that we have many other pieces that are much stronger and more visually striking. I do appreciate the different take on environmentalism her work has, if we can afford her without getting rid of other stronger pieces than I would be all for getting her work)

6. Matthew Buckingham *($12,000& &18,000) (After seeing the grandfathers piece I found it much more interesting and pertinent to the stamp collection than Celiritas. Thinking logistically in terms of space (I remember the gallery saying that it takes up about 6ft of space (is this right?) and price, two of my main concerns with this work)

7. Luke Jerram, HIV & SARS, $5,000

8. Fred Cray* (Travel Diaries, $6,000& $5,000) (I think when we discussed his work in the meeting and the comparison between him and Doug Keyes came up I could see the similarities and difference between them, although they are conveying different ideas I feel they share that idea of layering memory and creating an transient relationship between past and present. Comparing him to some of the other artist one the list I think that some of the themes present in his work I was interested in can be found in stronger pieces in the list. I was also drawn to the vastness the piece creates, pulling the viewer in to be able to take in different parts, which I enjoy in Bittencourt's piece)

9. Doug Keyes, The Holy Bible, 15x22.5, $2100, Cat in the Hat, 14x17, $1900, Invisible Universe, 22x33 $2600, Sugimoto, 14x23, $3200

10. Jenny Morgan $5000-$12,000

11. Patrick Jacobs -$8,000-$10,000

12. Sebastiaan Bremer $9,000

13.Lalla Essayadi * $9,000 (I think her work is definitely interesting and would be a way to engage the campus community in discussion, however I feel that the way in which she is working is closely linked to the Annu Palakunnathu piece. Racial and ethnic identity has been a strong theme represented in the collection thus far and I think some of the other works explore identity in a less distinct way, making them more accessible to a wider audience)

14. Jeff Brouws – Semiotics (10,000), Farms, (12,000), Freight Cars ($8,500), Signs without Significance ($8,500) unframed

No comments:

Post a Comment