Thursday, October 14, 2010

For next Monday.

As some of you know, I will be out of town next Monday evening, so I wanted to go ahead and post my three Chelsea galleries before I leave for Connecticut.

Center for Cuban Studies:
http://www.cubanartspace.net/gallery/index.php

Mission statement: to educate the U.S. public about Cuban art and culture, promote the work of Cuban artists and work toward the resumption of full educational and cultural exchanges between our two countries.

Brief thoughts: It's pretty obvious what unites this collection, but I'm drawn to it nonetheless. Still, I worry a little about choosing more art that often deals with cultural identity when, as we've discussed, we already have so much.

Joshua Liner Gallery: 
http://joshualinergallery.com/

Mission statement: With a fresh focus on painting, these (artists') eclectic voices are informed by the urban street, Asian pop culture, American comics, and digital design, among other influences. Their work ranges from figurative realism, to surrealist fantasy, to geometric abstraction. The artists of Joshua Liner Gallery are at the cutting edge of contemporary art practices, incorporating new media technology, mixed-media sculpture, and collective models of production. Above all they reflect the cultural crosscurrents, dynamic energy, and decentralized nature of artmaking today.

Brief thoughts: I dig the emphasis on painting big-time. I also like the focus on decentralizing artmaking and the possibility of finding works about process (another theme we've discussed).

Kathleen Cullen Fine Arts: 
http://www.kathleencullenfinearts.com/

Mission statement: none found

Brief thoughts: A lot of this work has clean lines, which I love. Web site is definitely worth exploring. I also like the emphasis on transgender experience as seen through tattoo culture (was a show they had recently). Very cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment